A Perfect Per…
What do Swedes and Canadians do when they meet? They talk about how low the temperature was 2 weeks ago… Yes, Per Zennström and Benjamin Kanarek two brilliant renowned fashion photographers could talk about hockey teams as well, but they have much more in common:
Both globetrotters, they were born in northern countries and left their hometowns to settle in different cities throughout Europe and North America: Stockholm, Paris, New York, Berlin for Per – Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Milan, Paris for Benjamin.
One was Steven Meisel’s assistant in New York when the other was shooting in a studio next to Steven’s a while back ago in New York.
They both share their technique with others through their blogs. This is very unique in this industry where top fashion photographers keep their cards very close to their chest.
Their work has been influenced by similar stimulis: architecture, pop culture and urban atmosphere and the moon as well as other esoteric subjects. However they express themselves very differently.
Per has developped his own style: elegant, clean, sparce, luminous but he can also push the envelop to more edgy and raw imagery. He has always been attracted to the facets of fashion photography: popular culture, the creation of image, the quest for new ideas. He calls it “Edgy Elegant,” a precise description of photography that is both sophisticated and incisive: a dose of classic fashion photography + a twist to give it that edge. He is drawn to the field of fashion photography, where he feels there is a constant hunger and need for innovation and a search for new expressions. Pop-culture with all it’s facets plays an important role in his universe, be it film, design, the business itself, new digital media and techniques… Thriving on the ephemeral and fleeting aspects of this sometimes fickle environment he tries to turn these “limitations” into opportunities.
Per Zennström studied at the School of Photography at Göteborg University, worked as Björn Keller’s assistant (a Swedish still life photographer). He worked in New York as a freelance photographer for several years and assisted Steven Meisel among others. He started his own career in 1992 when he moved to Paris and were he lived for almost 10 years. He moved back to Stockholm in 2005 and is now established in Berlin.
- Some of the magazines Per Zennström has been published in: Bon, Plaza, Glamour, Air France Madame, Madame, Vanity Teen, Qompendium, Tush, Qvest, Feld Hommes, Best Fashion, Park Avenue, DV Mode, Falte.
- Some of his ad campaigns and assignements for: Toni & Guy, Velour, MQ, Åhlens, Ouí, Dior, Guy Laroche, Nina Ricci, Schwarzkopf, Absolut Vodka, Renault, Galeries Lafayette Paris.
- Publisher of the on-line, pop-cultural magazine “11HORSES-“. Here is the last issue:
- Per has recently launched his blog 10horses
- Per Zennström official website
- Per is a now a regular guest blogger on www.benjaminkanarekblog.com
- Photography speaker / teacher, here is one of Per’s video-tutorial using Lightroom. Find more on YouTube and Vimeo